Mom and Dad and Michelle came to Walterboro on Monday night for 6:00pm Christmas Eve service at St. Peter's. I invited all for dinner after at my house.
With the pork and seafood dinner we had the night before, and because Mom was serving Beef Wellington on Christmas Day, I knew I had a limited selection of things I could prepare. So I chose to do something I've never done before and make Cornish Hens. The hens I got from the Meat Market were HUGE and I ended up cutting them in half and instead of stuffing them, I made the dressing separately. The stuffing was great but the hens were okay. I mean they were good just not great. Next time I will definitely search for smaller birds. I made a carrot souffle and brussel sprouts to go with.... and Edy's peppermint and chocolate ice cream for dessert!
I would have preferred to sit in the dining room but Spencer hates eating in there-- he knows I'll get real formal, will use the china, silver and crystal and he'll end up doing the dishes for a week... (he-he!!)
My mom has a large nativity set always displayed at Christmas in her home.... she gave me the one Spencer and I have now. Growing up, it was always the tradition to not place baby Jesus in the manger. It was a part of the season of Advent and preparing for Christ's birth. Remarkably every Christmas morning, baby Jesus would appear in the manger scene in our living room. We were told that Santa brought him.... placing emphasis on the importance of the day amidst all the gifts and toys. Its a great tradition and one I'd like to share with my children one day. To make it special (and because Mom, Dad and Michelle were there on Christmas Eve just a short hour and half before midnight), Michelle placed baby Jesus in the manager. This picture was totally staged but I thought it was special... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment